FA Cup semi-finals: Match reviews

Yaya Toure celebrates after firing City into the lead

Manchester City 1-0 Manchester United

Manchester City earned a place in the FA Cup final for the first time in 30 years at the expense of local rivals Manchester United. Yaya Toure’s 53rd minute goal was enough for Roberto Mancini’s team to claim a victory which ended talk of another treble for Sir Alex Ferguson. City took the lead when Toure intercepted Michael Carrick’s hospital pass, drove into the box past a despairing Nemanja Vidic before slotting the ball through the legs of Edwin Van der Sar. Dimitar Berbatov could have given United the lead early in the first half but was foiled by a fantastic save by Joe Hart after being put clean through by Ji-sung Park. Moments later, the Bulgarian latched on the end of a cross by Nani but could only fire his effort over the crossbar. City came into the game soon after these warnings and appeared more determined than the Red Devils after the break. City heaped on the pressure after Toure’s goal and United’s task was made even more difficult when Paul Scholes was dismissed for a nasty high tackle on Pablo Zabaleta. The closest United came to an equaliser was when Joe Hart pushed a free kick from Nani on to the bar, but City were able to hold out to claim a place at Wembley on May 14.

Bolton Wanderers 0-5 Stoke City

A nightmare performance by Bolton Wanderers helped Stoke City to claim a place in the FA Cup final for the first time in their history as the Potters romped to an emphatic 5-0 win. Goals from Matt Etherington, Robert Huth, Kenwyne Jones and a Jon Walters brace earned Stoke the biggest semi final victory in 72 years. Etherington fired Stoke into the lead in the 11th minute, seizing on a loose ball before driving his shot into the corner past Jussi Jaaskelainen. It got worse for Bolton six minutes later when Huth struck a sweet volley beyond a helpless Jaaskelainen to double Stoke’s lead. The Trotters, stunned, appeared to lack any calming influence in their side, something which was highlighted by Stoke’s third. Martin Petrov, unable to hold on to possession and was robbed by Jermain Pennant who ran 70 yards before feeding Jones to calmly slot home inside the box just 30 minutes in. At 3-0, the game was effectively over and Bolton offered little after the break. Although their defending had been poor, there was not much the Trotters could have done to prevent Walters’ beautiful curling 25-yard effort in the 68th minute. And the former Bolton man was on target again nine minutes from time to complete the rout for the Potters. Stoke will look forward to a return to Wembley on May 14, when they will face Manchester City.