League 2 Rapid Fire Roundup – Week 2

3 Teams extended their 100% winning start to the season, Rotherham, Gillingham and Southend, while a further 4 teams in Port Vale, newly promoted Crawley Town, Torquay and Northampton can officially classify their seasons as “unbeaten” so far.

Highly Rated Le Fondre

Rotherham romped to a 4-1 away victory at Plymouth.  Highly rated striker Adam Le Fondre grabbed a late brace, netting in the 82 and 87th minutes to give the victory a touch of gloss after Gareth Evans also bagged two goals in the 52nd and 59th minutes. Plymouth had gone 1 up in this match curtosy of a rasping drive by Will Atkinson on his debut after cutting inside the defence and letting fly from 20-25 yards. Plymouth gaffa Peter Reid said after the match that he was dissapointed with the way in which Rotherham were not made to work hard for their goals.

Gillingham picked up another away win against Crewe, running out 2-1 winners.  The opener came on 23 minutes when new signing Chris Whelpdale pounced on a heavy defensive first touch, cut back and piled the ball into the top left corner.  Bearly 2 minutes later and Danny Spiller poked home a second with a clever finish giving the visitors a 2 goal advantage. Gillingham manager Andy Hessenthaler did not aprove of the away fans chanting “ole!” claiming his players became a bit complacent, and the Gills then came unstuck and conceeded when Shaun Miller tucked home from close range with 15 minutes left to play.  Crewe were unable to find an equaliser and find themselves without a point so far.

No "ole!"

Southend came away from Acrington with another 3 points to complete the trio of teams with a 100% start to the season.  A second minute spot kick was thundered in by Liam Dickinson. Acrington leveled on 40 minutes after Southend ‘keeper Glenn Morris failed to collect a free kick and presented Andy Procter with the simpelest of finishes from bearly a yard out. Ryan Hall cleverly looped to the ball into the top right corner after breaking clear of the defence in the 67th minute.  McIntrye was sent off for the home team after an off the ball incident in the closing stages of the match.  Southend manager Paul Sturrock stated after the match he felt his team missed too many chances and should have run out 3 or 4-1 victors.

AFC Wimbledon picked up their first ever win in the football league after beating Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 away from home.  Goals from Luke Moore from the penalty spot and real power strike from Rashid Yussuff from outside the box helped the new boys pick up a moral boosting 3 points.

Moore nets as AFC Wimbledon get their first 3 points of the season

Highly fancied Crawley town are looking for back to back promotions picked up their first win, coming away from their clash with Macclesfield with a 2-0 home win and an unbeaten start to the season.  Macclesfield were outclassed on the day and Crawley had the lions share of posession, Macclesfield manager Gary Simpson said how he had no complaints and that Crawley were deserved winners.  A slice of honest from a manager, which is always refreshing!

Elsewhere across the division the results were as follows:

Barnet 1 – 3 Port Vale
Bristol Rovers 1-2 Torquay United
Aldershot 0-1 Northampton
Barnet 1-3 Port Vale
Burton Albion 1-1 Shrewsbury
Cheltenham 1-0 Swindon
Hereford 0-3 Morecambe
Oxford United 1-1 Bradford City